Although there are many unique, interesting, and absolutely delicious desserts in Japan; ice cream in this country is just as popular as it is in the western part of the globe. Among other flavours, green tea has become the favourite of Japanese. In fact, even the rest of East Asia.
How about holding a party and impressing your guests with Japanese Green Tea Ice Cream paired with Japanese Cheesecake, Purin, or Uiro?
How to Make Japanese Green Tea Ice Cream
The ingredients you will need are 2 tablespoons of matcha green tea powder, 2/3 cup of sugar (granulated), ¾ cup of milk, ¾ cup of double cream, and 3 egg yolks.
- In a mixing bowl, combine two tablespoons of matcha green tea powder and only two tablespoons of granulated sugar.
- Secure a separate bowl and mix the remainder of the sugar with the three egg yolks.
- Meanwhile, heat the milk in a pan set on low heat. Do not let the milk boil. Remove from heat.
- Mix a small amount of warm milk to the matcha green tea and sugar mixture. Then, pour the egg mix and create a smooth paste.
- Gradually add the rest of the milk to the mixture while ensuring that the mixture remains smooth.
- Return the mixture to low heat.
- Remove from heat before the mixture boils.
- Strain the entire mixture through a fine sieve and allow to cool.
- After 2-3 minutes when the mixture has cooled, lightly whip the cream and fold into the mixture.
- Place the mixture into a large container and put in the fridge for a couple of hours.
- After several hours, you can place the container in the freezer.
TIP: To avoid ice crystals from forming, remove the container from the freezer every few hours and mix the ice cream well. Repeat this process for a couple of times until you are ready to consume your perfectly smooth Japanese Green Tea Ice Cream!
Watch out for our future posts and learn how to make Japanese Cheesecake, Purin, Uiro, and other sweet Japanese desserts.